Breakfast For On The Go Entrepreneurs
A Note On Eating & Entrepreneurship!
I, on many occasions, have accidentally worked through meal times. So wrapped up in the current project or approaching deadline that food slipped my mind until I am like wow no more energy! This wasn't always my terrible habit, I would cook intricate healthy breakfast before heading to work, finish my smoothie in the car, & have a snack ready for before lunch! Once my schedule became occupied by my business, the importance of meals began to slip. I began grabbing granola bars or fruit before heading to work or nothing at all and waiting till lunch before I got any type food!
One of the reasons Brittany & I started the #SELFCAREMAGIC series was because through entrepreneurship I had become so busy that I started to neglect my self-care across many touch points! I wanted to find that balance! So when Brittany sent me these breakfast recipes I jumped with joy! Easy, yummy, & packed with the good stuff!!
I hope you enjoy!
Breakfast, most important meal of the day...unfortunately for many us on a time crunch also one of the most impossible meals of the day. Breakfast is amongst one of the most important times to eat but one of the most missed/neglected meals. Simply because we do not have time or energy to wake up and cook breakfast every single day. So we usually rely on sugary treats, bars & muffins, coffee, and the holy spirit to help us make it to lunch. Little did we know the damage we were doing to our body’s physically and that it was probably throwing off our productivity and energy levels.
Now, is time for a change. We started this Self Care series to teach lasting change, not to tell you you’ve been adulting all wrong. First thing up is Nutrition. I’m here to share some of my favorite and easy overnight breakfast options for an on the go life!
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice or enough to cover the oats
- 1/2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted nuts/seeds of choice (walnuts, pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc.)
- 1/2 tsp coconut flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp maple or agave syrup (optional)
- Pinch cinnamon
- Mason Jar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp small vegan chocolate chips
- 1-2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- ½ banana
- Let sit in fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours. Enjoy in the morning cold, or microwave to have hot cereal =)
- Add in whichever flavors you like, in my photo there I've added about 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter and about 1 tbsp of brown sugar.
- In a sealable jar or container, mix together the oats, milk, and chia seeds.
- 1 | 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1½ teaspoons)
- 1 cup potato, diced (any variety)
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- To drain the tofu, wrap in several paper towels; place in the sink. Place a heavy object (such as a large pot with a heavy weight inside) on top of the tofu to press the water out. You can also use a tofu press. Let the tofu drain for 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet or wok, add the onion. Cook for 5-7 minutes until they become translucent. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add potato and mushrooms; stir. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until potato, is fork tender. Crumble the tofu into small pieces and add to the pot; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add black beans, salsa, nutritional yeast, chili powder, cumin, salt, turmeric, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to fully incorporate all ingredients; cook for 5 minutes. Add kale or spinach and stir; cook until wilted.
- Scoop some of the filling and place in the center of a tortilla. Fold in the edges, then roll up. Wrap in foil. Repeat for all tortillas.
- Store in the fridge or freezer. Defrost in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes or in the microwave.
- 1-2 cups frozen fruit
- 1-2 handfuls frozen green (spinach, Kale, swiss chard, etc)
- 1 cup fresh fruit
- Freezer Bag
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut water
- 1 tbsp protein powder (optional)
- 1 tsp superfood (optional)
- ½ avocado (optional)
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- In freezer bag, add desired fruits (slices) and green.
- Let freeze at least 2 hours
- In the morning
- Add bag of frozen good to blender, one cup of liquid and blend on high for 45 seconds (or until smooth)
- Add smoothie favorite for added nutrients, taste, and texture!
- 2 slices of bread of choice
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 avocado
- Red pepper flakes
- Any topping you desire!
- Toast bread
- Spread ½ tbsp on each slice
- Slice and scoop each half of avocado on the toast, smash with fork (optional)
- Add turmeric & red pepper flakes!
- Add other desired toppings!
Literally my FAVORITE breakfast options! Super nutritious and very budget friendly (even good for families.) This way you have more time to give yourself a little extra self-love in the morning (or sleep), you get a nutritious breakfast, and you can knock out some of the work that has been piling up! Take care of yourself and be the badass you’re meant to be!
To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance - Oscar Wilde